There is nothing worse then waiting for information--especially if that information comes at the sacrifice of "design". Get your information into the hands of your patrons quickly.
FOR DESKTOP SITES
• Your HTML Pages Should be no more than 195 KB complete
• They need to start displaying (not loading) in less than 10 secs on a 33.3 KB
• Pages Should not be overloaded with Graphics
• Test your website on a dial-up Modem
Test your website for load times:
FOR MOBILE SITES
• Kill Images or Limit to one Small Image
• Directions Link and Contact Link Priority on Home Page
• Ability to order/reserve tickets a BIG plus
• Anything more than 2 Paragraphs Will Not be Read
• Should be able to navigate the site with one hand
- There will be 788 million mobile-only Internet users by 2015.
- Global mobile data traffic will increase by a factor of 26 by 2015 - 60% of visitors will be on Mobile.
- Average smartphone usage doubled: 79 MB per month, up from 35 MB per month in 2009.
- Millions of people around the world have cell phones but no electricity, and by 2015 a majority in the Middle East and Southeast Asia will live "off-grid, on-net."
Source: Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast
From previous student Brian Franko:
What the hell is up with Milk?